Monday, September 19, 2011

Windows 8 and HTML5 (Week 2)

It looks like we'll all be dragging our feet once again as Windows 8 gets released in an as much "all HTML5-only as possible" approach. The interesting thing is that the new browser will not support any plug-ins. Therefore, no PDF, no Quicktime, no Flash, and no Silverlight (an MS product). The defense for this decision is that the new Metro browser is supposed to work better with "touch style browsing."

Ok, who is using "touch style browsing?" I've used it it in the store (about a year ago when I got a new computer) and it looks really cool, but my first thought after playing with it for about a minute was that my shoulder is going to get tired after about 2-3 minutes. It would be fine for things that don't require much input such as reading articles or books (you're only turning pages), but if I to tried to write a paper for one of my classes, it would be a nightmare.

The issue here is that Microsoft is trying to guess on the direction of technology (in this case thinking that most people will be moving to touch screen interfaces and away from the keyboard and mouse).

At this point, I'll let you know that Microsoft is hedging a litttle. They intend to allow you to use a desktop option of the browser that will still work with the plug-ins. If you'd like to read more, visit http://www.linkedin.com/news?actionBar=&articleID=773716949&ids=0Vd3AScjsPdPsIdP4Mcj8PcPsTb38TdPoQcPcTdOMQdP8SdP4OdPsIdP4Me34PczsT&aag=true&freq=weekly&trk=eml-tod-b-ttle-4&ut=3BatDJpKSROAU1

The point is that a large company (such as MS) can afford to take some risks and still try to be cutting edge. In this case, they are anticipating that people will move toward the touch screen interfaces and are positioning themselves to be market ready with a competitive browser when/if this occurs. When I first read the articles, I thought they had made a huge mistake and were creating a browser that few people would use. Then, after reading it a second time, I realized they had left them selves an out by keeping the desktop version available. My opinion was they could have just saved the money, but at least they had an out. Then, on the third try, it hit me.....I had failed to think it out far enough. I was stuck with my vision of what the touch screen interface looked like a year ago. Has it changed already or would it change in the near future to become more user friendly? Almost certainly! Therefore, what initially looked like a waste of money to me, now appears to give Microsoft a jump to regain some of its market share in the "browser wars" if people do move toward touch screen interfaces and if not, their browser still works with the "old technology" mouse and keyboard. In this manner, they are in a position to strike if  the expected change in interface technology takes place, but without fully committing itself in that direction.

Well played, Mauer....

No comments:

Post a Comment